The requested page is not available in the preferred language.
The requested article is available in the following languages.
Advanced Qualitative Methods, 5 credits (8FO0001)
Avancerad kvalitativ metodik, 5 hp
Entries/Ansökan Advanced Qualitative Methods, 5 credits
Next course planned for spring 2021
Number of students: Minimum 10
By the end of the course the students will be able to:
- Display advanced abilities in transcription of qualitative data
- Interpret and analyze qualitative data
Data transcription, different qualitative methods of analysis and different perspectives of validation as well as triangulation. Focus will be on valuating ability and approach regarding validation in analysis and focusing on key concepts as trustworthiness, reflexivity and triangulation.
Introduction lectures, group activities, seminars and written record of chosen method of analysis including an analysis and critical reflection upon the chosen method of analysis.
Individual task, writing a paper, scrutinized at a seminar and having an opposition on another course participant’s paper.
Students who have failed the course or part of the course twice are entitled to request another examiner for the following examination occasion.
Admitted to education at research level (PhD-studies).
Basic Qualitative Methods, 5 hp or other comparable knowledge.
PhD students are admitted according to the following priority order:
1. PhD students registred at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
2. PhD students registred at other faculties within Linköping University
3. PhD students registred at other universities
Participation in the course of other students than above is only possible if there are fewer applicants from the above groups than students to be admitted.
Pass or Fail.
Planning and implementation of the course shall be carried out on the basis of the wording in this course plan. The evaluation of the course should therefore consider the question how well the course agrees with the course plan. Written evaluation will be arranged at a scheduled time at the end of the course.
At the student's request, course certificate may be issued by the course organiser.
- Patton, M.Q. 2002. Qualitative Research & Evaluation Methods (3 ed)London: Sage Publications Ltd.
- Silverman D. 2001. Interpreting Qualitative Data. Methods for Analysing Talk, Text and Interaction (2 ed). London: Sage Publications Ltd.
- Adding literature presentering different qualitative methods of analysis and scientific articles relevant for the content of the course.
If the course is withdrawn, or is subject to major changes, examinations according to this course plan are normally offered on a total of at least three occasions within one year, one of them in close connection with the first examination.
The course is normally given in English.
Carina Berterö, Department of Medical and Health Sciences, IMH, Hälsouniversitetet, 581 85 Linköping, phone: 013-28 69 74, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 2019-10-08