Scientific Communication and Information Retrieval, 3 credits
Vetenskaplig kommunikation och informationssökning, 3 hp
Number of students: min 15, max 30
By the end of the course the students will be able to:
- Show a knowledgeable and critical attitude regarding scientific investigations and reports, including evaluation of the interpretation of data
- Independently search relevant scientific literature
- Describe the principles for authorship
- Know the principles for the writing of a scientific article and the publishing procedure
- Discuss how information about research best is communicated to the public and aspects of contacts between scientists and public media
- Construct and present a poster on a scientific study
- Critical review of scientific papers
- Information retrieval
- Data bases within Biomedicine
- How to write a scientific paper
- Poster presentation
- Communication with public media
- Electronic publishing
- Application for grants
Lectures, tutorial groups and seminars.
The lectures will emphasize practical skills useful for communication (as sender or receiver) within the scientific community. Tutorial groups and seminars are used for practicing literature serarch and reviewing each other manuscripts.
The course is given in such a way that both men’s and women’s experiences and knowledge are made visible and developed.
1. Active participation in all parts of the course
2. Poster presentation of a scientific project
Students who have failed two times on the course or part of the course are entitled to request another examiner at the new examination occasion
Admitted to education at research level (PhD-studies).
PhD students are admitted according to the following priority order:
1. PhD students registred at the Faculty of Health Sciences or PhD students strongly connected to the Faculty of Health Sciences registred at other faculties within Linköping University
2. PhD students registred at other faculties within Linköping University
3. PhD students registred at other universities
Participation in the course of other students than above is only possible if there are fewer applicants from the above groups than students to be admitted.
Pass or Fail.
Planning and implementation of the course shall be carried out from the wording in this course plan. The evaluation of the course should therefore consider the question how well the course agrees with the course plan. The evaluation will be written on a scheduled time point at the end of the course.
Course certificate is issued by the course organiser at the Department of medical and health sciences.
The course organiser at the Department of medical and health sciences will provide a list of relevant literature.
If the course is closed down, or is subject to major changes, is normally examination according to this course plan offered on totally four occasions within a year, of which one in close connection to the first examination.
The course is normally given in English.
Examinator: Magnus Falk
Administrator: Kajsa Bendtsen
Senast uppdaterad: Wed Feb 20 08:54:40 CET 2019