The requested page is not available in the preferred language.
The requested article is available in the following languages.
Basic Qualitative Methodology, 5 credits (8FO0016)
Time: Weeks 36-37 and week 41 2020
Number of students: Minimum 14
By the end of the course the students will be able to:
- Describe and discuss the philosophical foundations of qualitative research.
- Discuss and reflect upon connections between research questions/aims and different qualitative methodologies.
- Describe different designs, sampling and methods of analysis used in qualitative research and discuss the strength and weaknesses of results generated by these
- Conduct a data collection with qualitative interviews
- Conduct a data analysis, using the transcribed interviews, according to a chosen qualitative methodology
- Present in writing and orally her/his own data analysis in the light of relevant qualitative research methodologies.
- The philosophical foundations of qualitative research; epistemology and ontology
- Qualitative methodologies in scientific research
- Research designs
- Data collection
- Data analysis
- Writing, presenting and defending qualitative data analysis
Lectures and/or tutorial groups, seminars and practical tasks.
The educational method used is problem-based learning (PBL). PBL emphasises the student’s development of free, self-supporting, lifelong learning ability as an instrument for critical inquiry. The students own queries and formulated problems form the basis of PBL. Important is also the student’s ability to take responsibility for his/her own learning, and to seek and evaluate information and knowledge and to train co-operation and a flexible attitude to different views and ideas.
The course is given in such a way that both men’s and women’s experiences and knowledge are made visible and developed.
1. Evaluation of a written report of the students own data collection and data analysis including
1.1. The philosophical foundation for research questions in the students data collection and chosen methodology
1.2. The transparency of the methods used
1.3. The pros and cons of data collection used
1.4. Presentation and discussion of the findings obtained during the data analysis
2. Evaluation of an oral presentation of the data analysis at a seminar
3. The ability of the student to answer theoretical questions (within the scope of the learning outcomes) posed by the examiner at the seminar of the PhD students report
Admitted to education at research level (PhD-studies).
Scientific Methodology for PhD students, 5 credits or other comparable knowledge.
PhD students are admitted according to the following priority order:
1. PhD students registred at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences or PhD students strongly connected to
the Faculty of the Medicine and Health Sciences registred at other faculties within Linköping University
2. PhD students registred at other faculties within Linköping University
3. PhD students registred at other universities
Participation in the course of other students than above is only possible if there are fewer applicants from the above groups than students to be admitted.
Pass or Fail.
Planning and implementation of the course shall be carried out on the basis of the wording in this course plan. The evaluation of the course should therefore consider the question how well the course agrees with the course plan. Written evaluation will be arranged at a scheduled time at the end of the course.
At the student's request, course certificate may be issued by the course organiser.
The course organiser will provide a list of relevant literature before the start of the course.
If the course is withdrawn, or is subject to major changes, examinations according to this course plan are normally offered on a total of at least three occasions within one year, one of them in close connection with the first examination.
The course is normally given in English.
Carina Berterö, Department of Medicine and Health Sciences (IMH), Medicinska fakulteten, 581 85 Linköping, phone: 013-28 69 74, 073-270 22 70, e-mail: email@example.com .
Last updated: 2020-05-20