- Professor of Language & Culture, with particular specialisation in Communication and Conversation studies, Linköping University (since 2006).
- Before that professor of Communication Studies, at the same university (1981-2005).
- From 2005 part-time sponsored by the Swedish Research Council as Distinguished Research Professor.
- Fil.kand. (B.A.) (Slavonic Languages, English Language, Phonetics, General Linguistics) (University of Uppsala) 1965.
- Fil. doktor (Ph.D.) (Linguistics) (University of Uppsala) 1974, Thesis Title: Problems of Psychological Reality in Generative Phonology.
- Docent (cf. German "Habilitation") (Linguistics) (University of Uppsala) 1979.
Previous Academic Posts:
- Temporary Lecturer in Phonetics, University of Uppsala, 1967-69
- Assistant Professor in Linguistics, Universities of Umeå and Uppsala, 1974-79.
- Acting Associate Professor in Linguistics, University of Stockholm, 1979-80.
- Research Fellow in Psycholinguistics, Research Council of the Humanities and Social Sciences, 1980-81.
Areas of research specialisation:
- Talk-in-interaction and other communicative activities in their social and cultural contexts, in particular, interactions in institutions and organisations across different sectors of society. Discourse in society, especially professional-client communication in legal, medical, educational, and everyday settings.
- Dialogical theories of sense-making: languaging, communication, thinking, action, interventions into the ecosocial environment. Dialogical linguistics and discourse theory. The written language bias of mainstream theories of language.
- Conversational language: structure and functions.
Administration (previous posts and commitments):
- Vice-dean of the Faculty of Theme Research, University of Linköping 1987-90 and 1993-1995.
- Chair of the Department of Communication Studies, University of Linköping, 1981-83, 1985-86, 1988-89 and 1993-1995 (instigator of comprehensive research and research training programme dealing with discourse in society).
- Director of Studies, Department of Linguistics, University of Uppsala, 1974-76.
- Member of the University Board, University of Linköping, 1988-1994. Various functions in the Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation and the Swedish Research Council.
Ph. D. supervision:
- Principal supervisor for 17 completed PhD dissertations and assistant supervisor for 16 completed PhD dissertations.
- Editorial Boards: Journal of Sociolinguistics, Text & Talk.
- Previous editorial board: Linguistics, Nordic Journal of Linguistic.
- Occasional tasks as referee for Discourse & Society, American Journal of Psychology, Journal of Language and Social Psychology, Journal of Pragmatics, Language & Society, Social Science & Medicine, Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Språk & Stil.
- Co-organiser of Summer Courses for Researchers and Graduate Students (sponsored by the Nordic Council): Särö, Sweden 1984, Mullsjö, Sweden 1987, Särö. Sweden 1989.
- Co-organiser of the International Conference on "Discourse and the Professions" (under the auspices of AILA), Uppsala, Sweden 1992.
- Co-organiser of international conference on "Social Representations and Communicative Processes", Jönköping, Sweden 1997.
- Organiser of several other conferences in Sweden.
- Member of interdisciplinary study group on "Die Dynamik des Dialogs", Werner Reimers Stiftung, Bad Homburg, BRD, 1988-1993, and on ”Langage et dialogue” and ”Trust and dialogue”. MSH, Paris 1998-2008.
- Faculty opponent on PhD dissertations in Sweden, Norway and Finland 7 times. Member of Ph.D. committees 35 times in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. External examiner for additional Ph.D. dissertations in Finland and Macquarie (Australia).
- Referee and advisor for The Research Council in the Humanities and Social Sciences (Sweden), The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation, SÖ, Swedish Government Committee for University Research in Languages and Linguistics, National Science Foundation (NSF) (USA).
- Member of expert committees for professorships and assistant professorships at the Universities of Umeå, Linköping, Göteborg, Vienna, Uppsala, Lund.
- Invited guest lectures at the Universities of Göteborg, Lund, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Umeå, Uppsala, Odense, Aalborg, Aarhus, Roskilde, Oslo, Trondheim, Helsinki, Jyväskylä, Oulu, Turku (Åbo), Georgetown (Washington, D.C.), UCLA, Bloomington, IN., Austin, TX, Vienna, Prague, Groningen, Newcastle-on-Tyne, Reading, Cardiff, Guildford (Surrey), Stirling, Paris V, Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago de Chile.
- About 100 lectures and papers given at conferences in Sweden, Finland, France, England, Austria, West Germany, Spain, Italy, U.S.A., Norway, Denmark, Chile.
- Guest professor in discourse studies at the University of Helsinki 1996-99.
- Guest professor (‘Professor II’) in ‘language and communication’, University of Trondheim (NTNU), 2004-2008.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board of the Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Study 2001-2003.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Freiburg Institute of Advanced Studies (FRIAS), 2008-
- Linguistic Society of America, Societas Linguisticae Europeae, AILA (International association of Applied Linguistics), ASLA (Swedish Association of Applied Linguistics), NAL (Nordic Association of Linguists). External elected member of Finska Vetenskapssocieteten.
Major research grants received:
- "Success and non-success in dialogues" (with K Aronsson) (The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation, 1983-86) (SEK 1 040 000).
- "Communicative Styles of Leaders" (with K Granström) (The Swedish Work Environment Research Foundation, 1983-85) (SEK 400 000).
- "Communication in Language Lessons" (Research Council of the Humanities and Social Sciences, 1984-85) (SEK 132 000).
- "Aphasia in Everyday Life" (Swedish Board of Social Research, 1986-91) (SEK 440 000),
- "Immigrants and the Judicial System" (Research Council of the Humanities and Social Sciences, The Swedish Government) (1986-88) (SEK 490 000).
- "Contact Interpreting" (The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation) (1989-91) (SEK 800 000).
- "Communication between Midwives and Pregnant Women" (Research Council of Social Sciences) (1991-93) (SEK 800 000).
- "Conversational Abilities in Alzheimer¿s Disease" (1995-96) (SEK 200000).
- "Discourse in Society" (1996-1998) (The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation) (SEK 5 200 000).
- ”The Grammar of Conversational Swedish” (co-applicant) (SEK 9 000 000).
- ”Network in Conversation Studies” (NorFA) (1998-2002) (NOK 1 300 00).
- ”Conversation Analysis and Linguistics” (The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation) (2002-2003) (SEK 960 000).
- ”Conversation Studies and Language Sciences” (”leading researcher”) (Swedish Research Council) (2005-2007) (SEK 2 700 000).
- ”Learning, interactive technologies and the development of narrative knowing and remembering (LINT)” (The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation) (2007-2012) (principal investigator: R Säljö) (Linköping branch: SEK 4 500 000).
- About 180 items (books, articles) published in English or Swedish. In addition about 10 items in progress.
See link to COMPLETE LIST OF PUBLICATIONS in the menu.
Senast uppdaterad: 2010-02-20