MAX IV Infrastructure
MAX IV is a next generation synchrotron radiation facility for materials science and will replace the existing laboratory consisting of the MAX I, II and III storage rings. The main sources at MAX IV will be a large 3 GeV and a small 1.5 GeV storage ring with state-of-the-art low emittance for the production of hard and soft x-rays. The long linac injector will also provide short pulses to a short pulse facility and a future free electron laser (FEL).
One of the strategic goals of AFM is to improve the infrastructure in materials science in Sweden. In particular, we make a large and over time increasing investment in the MAX IV project. In 2010, we invested through strategic grants 1.53 MSEK, in 2011 2.44 MSEK and in 2012 and beyond we will invest 4.27 MSEK/year. Our goal is to ensure that the AFM researchers as well as the materials science community as a whole can obtain an improved access to state-of-the-art synchrotron radiation based techniques, with an emphasis on the soft x-ray region.
MAX IV KAW funding: 400 MSEK
Funding by Swedish universities: 160 MSEK
MAX IV Sekretariat at LiU (with chairman Roger Uhrberg and secretary Martin Magnuson)
PhD Courses: Synchrotron Radiation 7.5 ECTS
The Very High Resolution, Intensity and Stability (VERITAS) –beamline at MAX IV is designed for advanced q-dependent Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering (RIXS) measurements of bulk bands and efficient X-ray absorption in the fluorescence mode. The beamline is a cooperation between Uppsala University and Linköping University where UU develops the X-ray spectrometer and LiU are developing a sample preparation chamber for advanced materials growth by using Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD). The magnetron sputtering deposition system will be used to prevent surface oxidation of the samples. The VERITAS beamline will be over 50 meters long in order to achieve a very small focus on the sample. Important advantages of the beamline is that the monochromator and the undulator can be scanned simultaneously, the polarization can be changed quickly from vertical to horizontal with the elliptically polarizing undulator (EPU), and the high resolution (resolving power).
For the VERITAS beamline at the 3 GeV ring, LiU contributes with in-kind for an Advanced Materials Synthesis Chamber (Martin Magnuson, Lars-Åke Näslund, Andrej Furlan, Lars Hultman). https://www.maxlab.lu.se/veritas
The end station is equipped with the newly developed DA30 analyzer from Scienta for high-resolution ARPES studies, a 6-axis manipulator which allows the sample cooling with liquid helium (Carving from Specs), an STM with variable sample temperature from Omicron and LEED. In addition to the analysis chamber for STM and ARPES experiments have stationed two chambers for advanced sample preparation. The ARPES-beamline with the end station is expected to start in the beginning of the 2nd quarter 2017.
For the ARPES beamline at the 1.5 GeV ring, LiU contributes with in-kind for the experimental chamber (Roger Uhrberg). https://www.maxlab.lu.se/arpes
The Swedish beamline P21 at PETRA III is a high-energy beamline of 40-150 keV for in-situ material characterization using X-ray scattering techniques. It is located in the new "Hall East" and is the longest beamline (100 m from the front-end and 200 m from the source) and there is room for three insertion devices (ID); an in-vacuum undulator, a canted undulator and in the future a wiggler. There are many benefits of this beamline including large penetration depth, non-destructive measurement of bulk, deeply buried layer, no beryllium windows necessary, large Ewald sphere, high time resolution, small beam size, and that the measurements can be done in air instead of vacuum at these high photon energies. LiU will have access to a large number of hours, funded by the Röntgen Ångström Consortium (RAC). The Swedish beamline at PETRA III
Recent activities and In-Kind Contributions
- Workshop on MAX IV strategy, IFM, LiU, 9:15, June 23:rd, 2016
- MAX IV beamline prioritiy discussions, IFM, LiU, 15:15 June 2:nd, 2016
- Meeting on "National School in Neutron Scattering (GSn)” proposal to SSF, IFM, LiU, January 12:th 2016
- Information meeting on "National School in Neutron Scattering (GSn)”, IFM, LiU, December 10:th, 2015
- Local Committee meeting on Large Infrastructure, LiU IFM, 21 October 2015
- Local Committee meeting on beamline priorities for phase 2, LiU IFM, 1 October 2013
- Local Committee meeting on beamline priorities for phase 2b, LiU IFM, 14 February 2013
- VERITAS experimental station meeting, Uppsala, 18 October 2012
- VERITAS and MAX IV meeting at the building site, Lund, 15 June 2012
- VERITAS control room design meeting with architect, MAX-lab, Lund, 8 March 2012
- VERITAS coordination and design meeting at IFM, Linköping, 23 January 2012
- Workshop on the "NanoMax Beamline, Hard X-ray Imaging" at MAX IV, AlbaNova, Stockholm, 18-19 October 2011
- VERITAS coordination and design meeting at Ångström, Uppsala, 14 October 2011
- Swedish-German Workshop on “The Challenge of Ambient Conditions”, Rosersberg Castle, 6-7 October 2011
- Workshop on the Swedish beamline at "PETRA III, DESY", Hamburg, 29-30 August 2011
- Swedish-German Workshop on “UHERIXS at PETRA III”, Rosersberg Castle, 9-10 June 2011
- Seminar on the Swedish beamline at "PETRA III", Vetenskapsrådet, Stockholm, 2 February 2011
- Presentation at the “VERITAS – beamline workshop”, Kista, 21 January 2011
- Workshop on "Coherent Radiation for Imaging and Spectroscopy in the Röntgen-Ångström Cluster (RÅC)", Chalmerska huset, Gothenburg, 9 December 2010
- Workshop on the Swedish beamline at "PETRA III”, Foresta Conference center, Lidingö, 25-26 October 2010
- Preparation meeting for the workshop “Workshop on the Swedish beamline at PETRA III”, Röntgen, 5 October 2010
- Seminar on the Swedish beamline at "PETRA III"”, Vetenskapsrådet, Stockholm, 30 September 2010
- Preparation meeting for "beamline proposals at MAX IV", Zenit, Linköping, 7 May 2010
- 2:nd meeting in the National Reference Group for MAX IV, 9 March 2010.
- Workshop "beamlines at MAX IV", Scandic Star, Lund, 22-23 February 2010
- Preparation meeting for the workshop "Beamlines at MAX IV", Zenit, Linköping, 2 February 2010
- 1:st meeting in the National Reference Group for MAX IV, 26 January 2010.
Last updated: Wed Jun 22 13:39:19 CEST 2016